It’s normal to have plumbing issues. Not only will you have to deal with minor concerns like a running toilet, a leaking faucet, or a blocked sink drain, but you also have to deal with a number of more significant issues like a flooded basement or burst pipe. While completing certain repairs yourself might save you cash and teach you valuable skills, other repairs should be left to the pros.
The following information should assist you in determining when you should employ a plumbing expert and when you can attempt a repair yourself.
Understanding the Basics
You must first know how to cut off the water supply at the main pipe before getting your toolbox and tinkering with your home’s piping. If you try to fix plumbing without turning off the water supply, you can end up with gushing water flowing out of the area and no way to stop it. Ensure you know where your home’s main pipe shut-off valve is located – in most cases, at the water meter in the property boundary or underneath the toilet or sinks for specific fixtures.
Best DIY Plumbing Repairs
The most frequent plumbing problems in houses include leaking faucets, blocked toilets, and poor draining showers and sinks, all of which you can fix without inflicting significant plumbing damage. You may easily save money on professional plumbing labor costs by solving these small issues yourself.
Other domestic plumbing problems and installations that you can confidently deal with include:
- Replacing outdated toilets
- Installing new showerheads and faucets
- Replacing damaged or old garbage disposals
- Thawing frozen pipes
- Installing a dishwasher
When to Contact an Expert Plumber
Although it is more convenient and cost and time-effective for homeowners to tackle simple plumbing jobs, it is better to hire a skilled plumber for most plumbing problems. You may prevent property damage, get repairs completed using suitable tools and industrial machinery for long-term results, and gain expert technical advice by hiring a professional rather than attempting DIY plumbing.
If you’re having any of the following problems, contact a licensed Durham, NC plumber.
- Installing a water heating system – Water heater installation can be dangerous; therefore, it’s better to leave it to an expert.
- Relocating pipes or fixtures – Moving piping and fixtures is a time-consuming procedure that frequently necessitates the use of a permit. You might be penalized and forced to replace your upgrades if you don’t have one.
- Broken pipes – It takes a long time to fix a damaged pipe. With the help of a competent plumber, you can figure out what’s causing the problem and how to fix it.
- Major renovations – like shifting pipes extensive remodels, frequently need a permit, particularly for plumbing works.
When it pertains to your home’s plumbing, you should make the ideal choices every time something goes wrong. So think about the advantages of hiring a specialist and check into the problems that are reasonably simple to handle on your own. Lastly, ensure you have all the tools and equipment you’ll need to complete the work.